Visit the hotel Relais San Maurizio and enjoy a historic vineyard hotel built in 1619. 5 star luxury and fantastic landscapes will ensure your satisfaction during your visit to the Langhe valley, whereas the romantic estate is ideal for a honeymoon! A romantic hotel in the Langhe valley
Along the decorated corridors and in the refined public rooms which open in succession around the panoramic park with its ancient trees, through to the winter garden and private church, the residence offers views of rare beauty and elegance. On the ground floor, there are several elegant salons featuring magnificent frescoes and offering a view onto the green surroundings. The winter garden, which forms the heart of the complex, has a spectacular panoramic view of the Muscatel and Dolcetto vineyards. A place to relax and meet, it features a piano and the wine & cocktail bar dedicated to Ernest Hemingway. A small church is an integral part of the Relais San Maurizio. It is an ideal exhibition area and is also used for meetings and exclusive events. The long past of the historic hotel
Even though certain information about the hotels history is scarce, it is undisputed that the Relais San Maurizio has a long history: The historic hotel was originally a monastery built by Franciscan monks as the result of a convention in 1619. The Franciscans living at this monastery contributed to the agriculture in this area by plowing uncultivated land, making it fertile, tracing out new roads and paths and constructing ingenious irrigation and drainage canals. In addition, the monks are responsible for the introduction of a wine culture to the region around San Maurizio. In 1675, the monks demolished a smaller church (known as the old San Maurizio) and built the one still existing today. After 1802, after the advent of suppression of religious communities by Napoleonic law, the monastery changed owners several times, until it was sold to General Luigi Incisa Beccaria di Santo Stefano, a friend to the royal family, in 1862. In 1997, the current owners acquired the property. Preserving the past: The careful renovation
The structures of the Relais San Maurizio were restored with a maximum of respect for the past, although some radical intervention was unavoidable to remove logistical, technological, hygienic and safety barriers. Still, the structures have not lost their dreamlike atmosphere. The interior areas had lost their original design and structure prior to the renovation, which was then reversed. Also, many paintings have been restored: The decorations in the rooms are younger then the buildings, since they refer to “earthly pleasures”, which obviously does not make sense in a monastery. They required the least attention, unlike the pictorial decoration of the large room on the ground floor, which dates back to 1874 and was probably created by one of the artists of the so-called “St. Anne’s Company”. Additionally, the pictorial decorations of the church from the 17th century were carefully restored. The rooms at the 5 star luxury hotel
The Relais San Maurizio consists of 36 unique rooms and suites which were built into the former quarters of the monks in the main building and the old stables. Eleven suites, five junior suites, four superior double rooms, eight executive double rooms, two standard rooms and one single room offer a wide variety of different sizes and shapes, all united by stylish decoration and antique furniture. Almost all of the suites include an open fireplace. All the rooms are fitted with a telephone, internet access, a satellite-TV (including pay-TV), a mini-bar, a hair-dryer, a safe and slippers.